There are many ways that you can seize the moment. While seizing the moment usually happens spontaneously, it is also possible to cultivate the idea of what to do first.
In these instances, seizing the moment involves dwelling on the possibility before you finally take action. What seems immediate has actually been in the works for a period.
So here are 111 ideas on ways that you can seize the moment….
Seize the Moment: What You Can Do For Yourself
These moments either trigger endorphins that make you happy or are moments that will last in your memory forever.
“You may delay, but time will not.” – Benjamin Franklin
1. Burst out singing.
2. Dance on the streets.
3. Stop to smell the roses. Really.
4. Give up smoking or any other form of addictive behavior.
5. Stand up for yourself when bullied. Learn how to handle toxic relationships here.
7. Throw a party for no reason.
8. Drink a cup of tea. Mindfully. Learn the art of drinking tea here!
9. Go to the beach.
10. Meditate. Learn some beginner’s tips for meditation here.
11. Make a life-changing decision.
13. Go for a card or intuitive reading.
14. Capture this moment by taking a photograph.
15. Paint. If you have got self-doubt that you can do art, read this article about overcoming self-doubt.
16. Do your vision board.
17. Do gardening.
18. Splash in the bathtub.
19. Enjoy the stars in the night sky.
20. Pack a picnic basket and go bask in the sun.
21. Clear the clutter.
22. Pamper yourself with a massage therapy session.
23. Buy the thing that you have been eying for a long time and that you can actually afford.
24. Say the serenity prayer….
“God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.”
- Reinhold Niebuhr
25. Listen to music.
26. Sip champagne.
27. Compose a song or poetry.
28. Start on a new project.
30. Start a blog or website.
31. Confess on the long-held secret that you have been hiding from everyone.
33. Resign from your cubicle job.
35. Say no to someone who has been overly demanding. Learn how to handle toxic relationships here.
36. Read a great book.
37. Get off the couch and exercise!
38. Do emotional healing right away whenever you are feeling angry, upset or frustrated.
39. Stop a negative habit eg. procrastination, never being on time, etc.
40. Accept responsibility for your life.
41. Practice self-acceptance. Learn the keys to unconditional self-acceptance here.
42. Stop criticizing yourself in that moment. Stop negative self-talk.
43. Alter your perception of a hopeless or helpless situation.
44. Play in the rain.
45. Play in the snow.
46. Build a sandcastle.
47. Slow down.
48. Do a somersault.
49. Say yes to a proposal.
50. Volunteer to lead in a campaign.
51. Play your favorite musical instrument.
52. Express gratitude for your blessings. Learn how to start a gratitude journal here.
53. Call an old friend to chat.
54. Make a new friend.
Seize the Moment: Spend Time with Your Family
It is as much quality as quantity time with your family members.
“The bad news is time flies. The good news is you’re the pilot.”
- Michael Altshuler
55. Put on the music and dance together.
56. Join a contest that involves all family members.
57. Create a photo album together.
58. Go to the playground with your children.
59. Listen to your children talk about their interests, friends and hobbies.
60. Cuddle your loved ones in bed.
61. Spend some quality time without distractions from the TV or internet.
62. Stop arguing.
Seize the Moment: What Can You Do For Someone Else
Do something unexpected for someone – whether a loved one or even a stranger.
“Make use of time, let not advantage slip.” – William Shakespeare
63. Serenade someone.
64. Tell someone that you love him or her.
65. Send roses to your spouse, lover or partner.
66. Recite poetry to your spouse, lover or partner.
67. Buy a gift for someone whom you would like to show appreciation to.
68. Greet your stoic-faced neighbor, the one whom you still do not know, with a “hello” in the lift.
69. Get down on your knees and propose to your spouse, lover or partner.
70. Tell a joke. (On the side, read a joke here).
71. Do something unexpected for your enemy but with positive intentions.
72. Catch the sunset.
73. Offer praise.
74. Catch sunrise.
75. Breathe in fully and out.
76. Jump for joy.
77. Mail a handwritten greeting card to your friend from halfway around the world.
78. Hug someone.
79. Ask for forgiveness. Apologize for the hurt that you have caused.
80. Express gratitude to your loved ones for the contributions that they have made to your life.
81. Indulge in your favorite ice-cream, cookie or macarone.
82. Declare your love for someone publicly.
83. Take out the trashcan.
84. Offer to babysit, wash the toilet or hang up the laundry.
85. Make a promise that you intend to keep.
86. Listen when someone else is talking.
87. Hold your partner’s hands unexpectedly.
88. Plan a surprise party in honor of someone else.
89. Kiss your partner in the rain.
90. Write a love letter to your partner.
Seize the Moment: Go on a New Adventure
Try something new that you do not normally do. Warning…some of such activities may even be classified as extreme sports.
“Lost wealth may be replaced by industry, lost knowledge by study, lost health by temperance or medicine, but lost time is gone forever.” – Samuel Smiles
91. Do public speaking.
92. Sign up for a dancing class eg. latin, cha cha, ballroom.
93. Go mountain climbing.
94. Sign up for a gravity-defying reverse bungee jumping.
95. Go sky-diving.
96. Go on a vacation to an exotic location.
98. Wakeboard. My all-time favorite tip!
100. Go on a road trip.
101. Sign up for something that takes you away this weekend.
102. Sign up for a marathon or triathlon.
103. Join a talent contest that will pit your skills against others.
104 Join a play or musical.
Make this moment one of helping those who are in need of assistance.
“You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
105. Volunteer to build homes in poorly developed countries.
106. Bake cookies for fund-raising.
107. Donate your savings for a good cause.
108. Shave your head for cause.
109. Bring cheer at the old folk’s home, orphanage or an organization for the disadvantaged.
110. Volunteer for a helpline.
111. Offer to lend a hand to your friends.
Sands of Time
In a nutshell, here is my advice: Let not the sands of time sift through your fingers. Seize the moment while you can!
Author. Adventurer. Life Coach. More About Me.
Share Your Story
It is coming to the end of the year. Have you seized the moment in the past 11 months? Do share about your moment of glory!